Monday, December 16, 2013

Small steps.

I have found that writing everything out is very therapeutic. It kind of gives me a weapon against the depression. I actually like writing,  When I'm not writing, I'm thinking about what I want to write about. I just wish it was something more positive. But, at least it gives me a focus other than feeling sorry for myself.

The bad side of that, is I find myself using it to procrastinate. I just want to sit down and release it all, write it all out, instead of doing other things I need to do. I feel like if I had the time I could put up a month's worth of posts right away. After finding myself "writing" in my head for the third time, I told myself that none of this will do any good if I don't take real, concrete steps. I have a whole list of things to do and try this week to see if I can help our situation any. Many of them on that list are thanks to the suggestions on a public forum where I practically begged for help. So, thank you guys. You've given this narrator some possibilities to change her story.

This whole blog is about what it is going to take to change things, every aspect of the whole struggle. So with that in mind, and in order to keep myself on track, here is my to-do list this week.

 Check out Freecycle and free section on craigslist. (Done, nothing available in our small area, but will keep a close eye on it.)

Call Food stamp office and get case restarted. Ask about furniture voucher. (Did this, but had to leave a message. Waiting on a call back, so I'm not calling this one done yet.)

Call bank, landlord, and whoever else to get the necessary paperwork.

Call local churches (other than the one I used last week) to see about food pantries, shoe donations, furniture donations, and maybe even some Christmas presents for my kiddos if they are willing.

If that doesn't succeed, post a Craigslist ad begging for mattresses. Dear Lord, I hate to do this, but... Thing 2's shoes will fit for a few  more weeks. I can wear extra socks, and perhaps duct tape the holes in mine to make them more water proof. We just can't sleep on the floor anymore.

Look into mechanical turking. Look for any small writing/graphic art jobs that might pay reasonably. (As in, more than .03 cents a month like that one site).

Call the grocery store (now hiring sign!) to see if they would work with my husband's schedule so that I could work on his days off even though they are never the same. Which brings me to...

Ask husband to discuss set days off with his work, since it is a necessity for us to have some more income.

If that doesn't succeed, make a Craigslist ad asking for odd jobs; dog walking, grocery shopping, etc. Maybe do that in the meantime anyways.

Make a REAL budget. Every cent income, every expenditure.

Payday, start that new bank account so that we don't lose all our money on automatic bills and overdraft fees.

Payday, get prepaid phones and cancel phone plan! Don't get sucked in to smart phones!


I'm sure there's more and I will edit this as I remember or complete them.


Edit: BEDS!!! We got mattresses! My daughter will have a twin of her own, and we will be getting one more twin for my husband. I will sleep on the futon for now. Not ideal, but come Thursday, no one has to sleep on the FLOOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment