Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Good Luck Getting Out Of Poverty!

Since I've started this blog, I've been doing a lot more reading, some might call it "research" (but I really haven't worked that hard at it), about the poor, and poverty, and income limits etc. Everywhere I go, it seems there a two camps in the matter:

"I've been there, I know how it is."

              and

"I think I know, and you're doing something wrong."


The seem pretty equal in numbers, but that sad truth is that the second camp is so much more vocal than the first. And it even seems people switch camps. When they finally can be labeled "successful", they seem to forget their years in strife, all the pain and despair and hopelessness. They forget how hard it was in the midst of it, and how hard it truly was to rise above. They say, "Work hard like I did  and you will make it". They seem to forget the things that finally helped them out, whether it be social programs, family aid, or promotions, or just plain luck.
And luck accounts for a lot.

"I was lucky enough to get a raise."

"I was lucky my parents let me live with them."

"I was lucky that someone finally gave me a chance."

"I was lucky I qualified for all the programs."

"I was lucky enough to have free babysitting."

"I was lucky that a head hunter finally saw my resume'."

"I was lucky that my advisor helped me get a job."

These are all literal examples I've seen people write about how they became "successful", no matter how far down they started. When you take away the luck factor, all you have left are people working hard for their chance. Some get it, some don't. You're advice to work harder is useless if any amount of "luck" helped you to succeed, and it does. When you say "work harder like me" you mean, "have more good luck like me."

 For some reason people think low income families don't work hard. I have no idea why. If based on how hard we work alone, very, very few people in poverty would stay there.

The sad truth seems to be, that for so many low-income families, luck is a huge factor. Bad luck keeps you there, good luck helps you out.

Bad luck makes your car break down. Good luck keeps it running until you have the money to fix it. Bad luck makes your cold turn into pneumonia, resulting in doctor bills and missed work. Good luck means some cough syrup clears you right out. Bad luck makes your boss completely unaware of your value as an employee. Good luck opens his eyes and makes him want to help you advance. Bad luck makes it so that you have no friends or family to help you out with babysitting or a place to live. Good luck makes your family offer to let you  move in or babysit your child while you work/go to school.

If you set 2 people on deserted islands, they're both going to work as hard as they can to survive.
Good luck makes it so a boat goes by and sees the first person's smoke signal and they're rescued.
Bad luck, well, that person dies on the island. He worked just as hard, but there was never any boat.

People, not everyone has the same opportunities. Not everyone has the same options. Not everyone has the same luck!! Can you not come from a place of understanding and empathy, and not look down your nose, and say, "if you just worked harder."?

SO what then does a poor person do? How can we have more "good" luck, and less bad? How can we make ourselves opportunities, and give ourselves more chances?

I figure if there was an answer to that, we'd all be doing it. But I'm researching it, I'll get back to you.

In the mean time, I wish you all GOOD luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment