Monday, May 5, 2014

My Fortune Cookie Says:

"You're financial outlook is great at this time."

Man, I hope that's true!

We recently found out that my husband's company is opening a new store about two hours south of us. I guess he is one of two choices for being the store manager! I'm afraid to even hope honestly. It would be the change that we've been waiting for so long. Guaranteed $35k/yr, plus monthly bonuses (in the thousands) based on how the store does. That is certainly more comfortable than where we are now. Plus, they will pay for our moving costs IF he gets it. It's in a bigger city outside the metro area, which has it's downsides, but hopefully several advantages too, like public transportation and grocery store competitors and a much shorter commute for my husband.

I can't even imagine it. Or at least I try not to so that I'm not heartbroken if it doesn't happen. Of course, he will at some point get a store I think, I'm just afraid that if it takes a lot longer then a) my husband will lose some satisfaction and drive at work and b) our hole will get ever deeper. Better late than never, but realistically with all our debts, bills, and neglected medical issues, we would have to be at that income level for quite awhile before we even broke even every month.

I'm getting ahead of myself, I know. I'm afraid to be too expectant, too excited, or even too doubtful. I guess I will just hope everything turns out for the best, whatever path that might take.

We could use some prayers though, if you feel like it. :)

Those of you who have risen above poverty, would you mind telling us what the turning point was for your family? Was it more gradual, or a sudden step up like this would be? I would love to know!


5 comments:

  1. I grew up poor and never thought I'd escape it. I still carry some emotional scars from the poverty. Then all of a sudden in my early 30s I completed my education and suddenly I wasn't poor any more. I'm certainly not rich but I am not poor either. In my early 50s I still have a large student loan debt but I no longer worry about food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting that having a degree was your turning point. I've often felt that if I had just finished a degree of some kind, even if it wasn't the one I wanted, we would be in a better situation. However, I know that is not true for everyone. Some people have degrees and either can't find a job in the field, or the economy is unstable, etc.

      I no longer think of "rich" as the opposite of "poor" either. For so many the opposite of poor is just being stable! I'm so glad that you succeeded, and I'm doubly glad you're here reading about our journey. :) Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. You'd think it would have been an easy transition but it wasn't. I carried (and to some extent) still carry the fear of being poor. It was a long time--almost a decade before I could believe that I wasn't going to be hungry any more. Before I felt safe. Even now when I make close to 60K I still have some fear. I have come to the conclusion that the insecurity and fear oif hunger is the worst part of being poor at least it was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the person who commented above. You certainly have my prayers and good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it a frame of mindset, monetise most consider us dirt poor.......I don't bills and rent is paid and we have food. For me our wealth is not a measure of money but in the rich connections I build and nurture, the experiences we get to do, living with joy overflowing my heart. I could literally be happy living in a tent, van or abandoned cabin in the woods somewhere. Also when things are not working we are not afraid to jump off a cliff......taking huge risks....when at bottom of ladder there is not much to lose!

    ReplyDelete