Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Poverty Climb: Weekly Progress #7

Please excuse the lack of posts this last couple weeks, I've been sick with a toothache that happened to actually be a sinus infection, that turned into a respiratory infection. I'm still a little under the weather, but feeling better!

I am feeling cautiously triumphant. February has been a good month. We got our tax return, and for two precious, gleeful weeks, we got to live like people without money problems.
We got to have a little fun, AND pay bills, and pay off debt, and buy some things we need, some things we wanted,etc. etc., all at the same time. No precarious balancing, no suffering in one area to meet a need in another. No sleepless midnight conversations about how-in-the-hell-are-we-going-to-make-it.

There has been lots of progress (for once!!)

*Paid off $600 bank debt (thus keeping it from damaging credit).
*Paid off $285 bank debt (thus keeping it from damaging credit).
*Paid ALL of our bills, everything past due and current. That was at least $1200!
*Replaced the money we spent in our savings account, and added another $100.
*Bought a second vehicle. Hooray! Hopefully this allows us a few more financial (and fun) opportunities.
*Put all new tires on our first vehicle (they were very bad).
*Bought some clothes we all needed, mostly pants and socks.
*Bought groceries like it was the end of the world. Stocked the pantry completely (flour, canned goods, rice). Bought some healthy foods (mushrooms, lettuce, fruit) and others we haven't had the opportunity to have much of (fish, meat, sauces, cheese, etc.). There of course were a few treats too.
*Bought some of our individual hobby related items. With 6 more inches of snow last night and no sign of spring, we will have plenty of time to fill with hobbies. And while some of it was expensive, it will be our entertainment and stimulation for a long while!


Of course, it's all gone now, and I know that very soon I'll be missing this very badly as I scrimp to make dinner for my family again. I will treasure, and miss, that precious time spent with my family, smiles on all our faces, because we had so little stress. That is what I want, that is what I strive for - not the money itself, but the happy moments that you are allowed when your family in thriving. It's so much harder to manufacture those when you are struggling.
I am deliriously happy that we used the majority of the money to improve our circumstances, but in hind-sight, I can't help wondering what we might have done to improve them even more. Like I dunno, buy stock? Start a Roth IRA? Use it to start a business of some kind? I really have no idea what people who are used to money do to grow theirs, but I've heard all these terms and wonder if we should have done something else. We have some really big dreams for a low income family, and really we only fulfilled our little dreams - more food, more comforts, less debt, more security, a second vehicle. I just really hope those are the giant stepping stones to thriving that we hope they are!

4 comments:

  1. Trisha!YOU ARE BRAVE! Wishing you all the best!Saffron from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty Saffron, what a nice compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful blog! May I ask what state you live in? I think that the hardest part of raising children in poverty is keeping them from realizing how bad things can get. Many people do not know the often very rich resources there are for free in many areas. Now that you have the ability to get around while your DH is working, maybe you can find some and enjoy things a bit more!

    Also, I liked your blog post about helping others...may I make some modifications/suggestions? Organize a local clothing swap (if you have no room at your apartment ask about a free rental of a room at your local library...most have dedicated space for community events.). That way anything you have that you can bless others with can go, you can make more friends during the event, and maybe get some clothes for your growing family.

    Another thought is to TRADE free babysitting once a month, so you and DH can have a date night without being $100 poorer for a sitter. With that said, many, many towns offer free arts or museum passes at the local library (DH and I just got 2 $40 theatre tickets free from a local program at the library, free family museum passes abound, and it's a blessing to make plans to go somewhere that is an adventure and doesn't cost $$$$$$$$$$$. Feeling "normal" helps so much! Check areas you have special interests in (hockey, or opera, for example) on local websites...You'd be surprised to learn that many places offer freebies...we once got $200 opera tickets for free..they were giving away 50 pairs of tickets...only catch, you can't have won opera tickets before. Symphonies often have free afternoon dress rehearsals. Check your local paper online for free events (even music/story/craft times at your local library)! Remember to pursue YOUR interests, and your children's interests. USE that library!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it has taken me so long to see this, I just noticed the other day that my number of comments went up, and I was like whaaaaat?

      I live in the frozen north, near the thumb in Michigan. There are some services available to us here, and I'm actually finding more obscure ones all the time.

      I love love your idea of a clothing swap! Is it ok if I edit my other post to include that as an idea? To have a resource like that would be an awesome thing for any community I think, and especially with kids because some grow so fast.

      This will be the first week I've really been able to use the car because of the weather and registration/insurance/etc. This will also be our first trip to the library! Ours is tiny, so it may not have all those awesome things available, but I'm excited to check. Did you love the opera?? I've never ever been, but I think it's one of those cultural things that everyone should experience even if they don't have a great passion for it.

      Thank you for commenting, and the ideas!

      Delete