Saturday, February 8, 2014

Poor Helping the Poor - Long!

I have a need in me to do good in the world. Hopefully most people do. I honestly believe that is what we were put on the earth for. Certainly if you're a Christian, you know there are many bible verses dedicated to calling everyone in to service to help the needy - the poor, the orphans, the widows. I subscribe to the idea that it is everyone's job to help the poor, regardless of your station in life. But, what if you are "the poor"?

Do you take advantage of people's generosity and social programs, and promise to yourself that when you're in a better position you will help those like you? I know I do. Every single time I shamefully wheel my cart of gifted groceries to the car, I gratefully make a promise in my mind that when we "get on our feet", I will do something to help those in need like I have been. But honestly, truthfully - that is an excuse. I am in a better position than I was in my childhood, so I should still be helping those less fortunate than I. We should all be helping each other. I know that as caring, loving human brothers and sisters you probably feel the same way. I hope at least!

That really leaves me, and others like me, in a pickle though. We want to help others but it barely seems as if we can even help our selves. Those weeks when I have to feed 4 people on $20, I cannot spare $5 to send to starving African children no matter how much I want to, or someone in my family will either be hungry, or not have diapers! (I can't wait to potty train.) When we have to borrow money for gas from family just to make sure my husband can make it to work, I cannot spare any money to send to any charities, much less drive anywhere to volunteer like a soup kitchen. And yet, I cannot escape this feeling that I should be doing SOMETHING. Everyone knows there are varying shades of poor, and so even though I still qualify, I should be doing something to help the situation.

Even the poor, can help the poorer. The rich help those like them get richer, so why not? And that's why they often succeed in increasing each other's wealth. If we all helped each other as much as we could, even though we are financially poor, how much could we accomplish? Maybe nothing? But, maybe something.

So I have been exploring what I personally can do to help others despite our situation. I have frustratingly discarded many ideas that cost more than I can spare, or require driving more than a few miles away. This is the small list I have come up with. Since it applies specifically to me and my circumstances, it may not that helpful to you, but maybe at least it can generate some ideas or plant that seed that grows into generosity.

1. Volunteer within an organization. I joined a church. It is within walking distance, so that's good for me. The church has a few programs in our community, and a small number of farther reaching ones. While I can't afford the money to feed homeless people, I can certainly volunteer my time or skills with the rest of the church volunteers. They have more flexibility in funds to be able to do things, so I shall just lend my hands to help. If you are not religious and don't go to church, they will still happily except the donation of your time for their programs. Helping the needy is helping the needy, it is not an agreement that you accept their doctrine or anything, so if you have some of the roadblocks I do, get in touch with a church! Salvation Army's and Goodwill both depend on volunteer services too, so maybe you could call and find out what you can do.

2. Volunteer on your own.  Besides volunteering with my church, I would love to go the the elder care homes around here and just maybe visit with some of the tenants. It is so lonely to be old. As far as I know, there is not a children's home/orphanage nearby, but there was where I grew up. If there is one near you, I'm sure they would have a list of any number of things you could do.

3. Donating items/time. I have very little in good condition that I can donate, but like any first world person, I do have certain things that I have too much of (tupperware, anyone?). I am going to sacrifice a few coats, a few hats, and anything else I have more of than I need.
 Remember you can donate a lot more than just money, food, or clothing! Think outside of the donation box! :)  Toiletries are ALWAYS in need, diapers & wipes, old or excess furniture, blankets, toys, books, and sewing supplies are things that I can think of off the top of my head.. For anything you use regularly, there is someone who can't afford it.
Thinking of unique items to donate would have an enormous impact. Fishing supplies in an area where it's viable could supply entertainment and food! Seeds or container gardens could do the same thing. Pre-paid phone cards are pretty much worth their weight in gold to anyone in jail or the hospital, or who simply cannot afford to keep their phone on. Gas cards are the same. I have been denied food stamps before because I couldn't get to the library to make the copies to give to the office! Feminine hygiene products and condoms are so over-looked it's ridiculous. Batteries! I have given away items I actually needed before simply because I could not afford to feed them batteries.

And don't forget, sometimes your time is the most valuable, important thing of all.

4. Donating money. By all means, if you are able, go ahead and donate money to a local or large charity, because they can certainly put that where it will do the most good. Consider donating to those that benefit third world countries first though, because it takes a lot less money to make a difference in the lives of those people than it does in developed countries.

5. Help the individuals you know, even if you don't know them well. I am going to babysit one day a week for a neighbor so she can go to school. On the other side of me is an older neighbor who has lots of trouble getting up and down the stairs to the washers and dryers. Next time I go to the laundromat, I'm going to ask her if I could take some of her stuff for her. She'll probably say no the first time (she doesn't really like the fact that we have a loud family and thin walls), but maybe if I keep offering she'll take me up on it when she really needs to. Do you know someone that could use a ride to the laundromat, or the grocery store, or the library? Do you know someone elderly that could use a meal, or their prescriptions from the pharmacy? Someone that could use a babysitter but can't pay you?

6. Open your mouth in support. If nothing else, you can write congressmen or support legislation that improves poverty. You can also speak out when programs people need are cut, like SNAP and Medicare. Open a dialogue with your church about some programs that might benefit the community. Ask your child's school about doing a fundraiser for under privileged students. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

7. Do something.

Thank you for reading, and if you have any other ideas that myself or others could use, feel free to post them in comments!






1 comment: